<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drive a taxi. It's fun. Really.

January 30, 2007

Soon after I recorded my misery in this space, that same night I visited L. at the taxi garage. L. is one of the few people in the world I trust openly. He still drives a taxi on the day shift (I got to know him by being the steady night guy on his steady day car), but appears to have a new profession, which is spelling F. on the weekend nights (those being Saturday and Sunday) for oil changes, brake jobs and the odd call out to aid a driver with a flat tire or some other ailment of the industry.

Awkward at first, since I hadn't been around for a while. I was still aware that L. was the go-to guy on these nights, and I didn't feel as though reveling in boredom was possible anymore, so I decided to pay a visit. There I met a recurring desire, which is to learn to fix automobiles. L. and I talked a lot that night. He has a 1980 Oldsmobile (he says it's the perfect Bronx car, which is about right for his part of the Bronx), and we went over some of the troubles or interesting conditions he had met with his vehicle. I'd say the latter in his case, since it always seems that everything is merely interesting, no trouble at all, and is a learning experience for him. Finally, when I was about ready to leave, he allowed that he had attended mechanic's school (likely as a younger man, for he had little love for the new-fangled machines around). I felt relieved. Perhaps mechanic's school is the place for me to be. I wish to learn too!

In the meantime, for next Saturday night, I get to put Mel-The Green Honda, on the lift and see the sights that one only sees when an auto is literally over your head. So I can forget my figurative problems. L. says he will point out the important bits for my edification. I have a secret agenda though; I'm gonna bring motor oil and a filter and try to get an oil change out of it (in relative comfort, the garage is kept well heated). Since I've done oil changes before, there's nothing really to learn there, I just don't want to freeze my buns off while keeping Mel happy.

As for the taxi driving gig, it would seem that if you don't get an early start (say 2:30-3:30pm), you're far more likely to go home with crap for money. So not much has changed on that front. What has changed is the very fact that on those days last week (recall, Tuesday and Sunday) I was able to get out in that time frame. Cheers to that.

So when I woke up (late) at 4pm this past Monday, having had intended to drive a cab Monday, Wednesday and Thursday this week, I knew what needed to be done.

I booted Monday for Sunday. Nyahhhh. It's those last second, window-is-closing victories (however small) that keep me almost energized.

Speaking of energy, I vaulted over 140 pounds of weight this past weekend. I'm afraid the trend may be irreversible. I'm destined to be fat and happy. YEAH. Another 30 pounds and I'LL BE LARGE AND SLOPPY.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?